Storytelling has been around since the ancient times. Its purpose is not just to entertain. It is also used in communicating and learning. There are several old stories written in words or depicted in images and works of art that continue to connect to people over the span of centuries. It’s because people are usually drawn to compelling stories. While everyone has a story to tell, not many are gifted with the skill of effective storytelling. If you are among those who want to become a better storyteller, it is never too late to develop the skill.
1. Know your audience. Whether it’s for public speaking, a business presentation, or simple conversations with friends, a great story can capture and enthrall your audience. It can also help you send a message across. But not everyone reacts to stories in the same way. Becoming a better storyteller entails knowing and understanding your audience. This can help you choose the best story to tell that would be relevant to the people listening to you.
2. Choose a compelling story. While you need to pick a story that your audience would like, it’s also important that you choose one that you’d enjoy telling. How you feel about the story usually shows on the way you tell it. To be a better storyteller, you have to be fully drawn and engaged to the story if you want to connect with your listeners.
3. Take time to practice. Learning how to be a better storyteller involves preparation and practice. It sometimes takes time to learn how to tell stories effectively. Don’t skip the process o learning. Know your story at heart. Practice telling your stories to family and friends who can give you constructive feedbacks that you can use to improve your storytelling techniques.
4. Project confidence. People can hear confidence in your voice and see it by the way you carry yourself. Use your voice to capture and hold your listeners attention. Speak clearly and use your voice to convey the emotions that the story evokes.
5. Keep words simple. Using simple words to tell your story is one of the best ways to become a better storyteller. Remember that your goal is to connect and not alienate listeners with complex words. Practice keeping your stories simple and engaging.
6. Make eye contact. One of the many ways to connect with your listeners is through eye contact. Use it to establish a connection while telling your story. Making eye contact with someone you’re talking to or sharing a story makes the storytelling more personal.